A sampling of recent articles, press releases, etc. about student and amateur CubeSat / SmallSat projects and programs:
The University of Würzburg’s fourth experimental CubeSat, known as UWE 4, carries a miniaturized electric propulsion system to be demonstrated in orbit, and also serves as an educational tool for the German university’s engineering students.
The other satellites deployed in the Fregat’s final orbit were ZACube 2, a South African CubeSat, and the Lume 1 CubeSat from Spain.
Equipped with an AIS receiver to monitor ships and a medium-resolution near-infrared camera to track maritime traffic and detect wildfires, ZACube 2 was developed by the French South African Institute of Technology and the Cape Peninsula University of Technology near Cape Town. Lume 1 comes from the University of Vigo and a spinoff Spanish company named Alén Space, and is also designed for the early detection of wildfires.
From now on, “Uwe 4” should contact the ground station in Würzburg six times a day for about ten minutes. “Uwe 4” is supposed to circle the earth for about a year. The micro satellite carries an electric engine that allows it to change its orbit in orbit. In the class of the so-called “Pico satellites” , up to a weight of one kilogram, the Würzburg researchers are the first to succeed.
“In this respect, this is a new milestone for the world of micro-satellites, which was realized together with the partners of the Technical University of Dresden.” Professor Klaus Schilling from the Chair of Robotics and Telematics
- AMSAT CW Activity Day January 1, 2019 In Memory Of W3XO
- Soyuz Flight Deploys Amateur Radio Satellites
- In-Orbit Test (IOT) of Es’hail-2 AMSAT P4-A transponders
- Changes to the AMSAT-NA TLE Distribution for December 27, 2018
- Ham Talk Live Podcast Featuring KO4MA
- Multiple Flight Projects Selected by International Space Station U.S. National Laboratory
- AMSAT Awards Update
- Upcoming Satellite Operations
- Satellite Shorts from All Over
** Episode 146 – Making the Most of Satellite Time | Ham Talk Live! – “Drew Glasbrenner, KO4MA, from AMSAT is here to talk your calls about getting the most out of satellite time. We’ll talk about what to say, when to say it, and other etiquette and protocol issues so that you can make the most of your satellite operation!”
[spreaker type=player resource=”episode_id=16579382″ theme=”light” autoplay=”false” playlist=”false” cover=”https://d3wo5wojvuv7l.cloudfront.net/images.spreaker.com/original/ba09cbadbd9bb890eb437555d12c0391.jpg” width=”450″ height=”400px”]
General CubeSat/SmallSat info:
- How oil traders make big bucks by using satellite surveillance | WIRED UK
- Mission accomplished for ESA’s butane-propelled CubeSat – ESA
- Mars And Beyond: Minisatellites Open New Vistas : NPR
- Soyuz 2-1A launches Kanopus-V pair and additional payloads – NASASpaceFlight.com
- SRI International Cubesat Launches to Investigate Ionospheric Turbulence – Via Satellite
- It will Soon be Easier for CubeSats to Transmit Images and Video to Earth | Digital Trends
- NASA launches CubeSats up in first launch with Rocket Lab – We Are The Mighty