On Monday the planet Mercury will transit across the face of the Sun as seen from earth between about 7:12 am and 2:42 pm EDT : Mercury Enters Spotlight on May 9 – NASA.
This video shows the path that it will take:
Don’t ever look directly at the sun. There are various safe ways to observe the transit such as using a solar filter over a telescope aperature or to project the image onto a white board with a pinhole. The transit will also be webcast from various sites.
Here are some sites with information on webcasts and tips on viewing the transit directly:
- Eclipses and Transits – NASA
- NASA Tips: How To Safely Watch the Mercury Transit – Nature World News
- How to Safely Watch the Oct. 23 Partial Solar Eclipse – NASA – info applies to this solar event as well
- S&T Live Webcast: May 9th’s Transit of Mercury – Sky & Telescope
- May 9th Transit of Mercury: Everything You Need to Know – Sky & Telescope