A sampling of recent articles, press releases, etc. related to student and amateur CubeSat / SmallSat projects and programs:
** The SPACE HUAC project at Univ. of Massachusetts at Lowell involves undergraduates in the building a NASA sponsored CubeSat
- Science Program Around Communications Engineering with High Achieving Undergraduate Cadres (SPACE HAUC)
- Space Exploration Takes Flight at UMass Lowell – Lowell Sun Online
The projects aims to
demonstrate the practicality of high data rate communications on a 3U CubeSat. A phased array of X-band patch antennas will allow for rapid beam steering.
** USC engineering students building CubeSat as a demo for Vector Launch‘s first rocket flight: Viterbi students build, deliver satellite to start-up | Daily Trojan
A team of students in the Viterbi School of Engineering have taken one small step toward space and made one big leap for their careers.
Early in March, these students finished building and delivered USC’s third CubeSat satellite, which is about the size of a breadbox. David Barnhart, a research professor in the astronautics department, led the students selected from the Space Engineering Research Center through the year-long building process of the satellite.
The team has successfully delivered the satellite to its customer, Vector Space Systems, a start-up developing satellites and launch vehicles. Vector will use this newly built satellite to test its technology in space and ensure it works before selling it to customers.
** Spudnik-1 project at University of Prince Edward Island in Toronto involves undergraduates and graduate students in the building and launching of a CubeSat for remote sensing applications: UPEI students continue work on small satellite | CBC News
Grant McSorley, project manager of the CubeSat project at UPEI, said the group of over 20 undergraduate and graduate students have been designing the satellite since September, and now, they’re putting the final touches on their first set of prototypes.
UPEI’s satellite, called SpudNik-1, will be used for what McSorley calls “precision agriculture” that will capture photos and monitor the state of farm fields across P.E.I.
“The idea is to take photos from space that researchers and farmers can use in order to decide where to apply fertilizer, where to apply water in a more efficient way than they’re doing right now,” McSorley said.
- AMSAT India AISAT APRS Payload Operational on 145.825 MHz
- Upcoming Satellite Operations
- UT1FG/MM QSL Procedure Announced
- Hamvention Booth Announcement
- AMSAT Activities at Hamvention 2019
- The Case of the Unknown Satellites
- Upcoming ARISS Contacts
- International Space Station Astronauts are Calling CQ Students
- VUCC Awards-Endorsements for March 2019
- Raspberry Pi magazine MagPi Features Ham Radio
- Satellite Shorts From All Over
General CubeSat/SmallSat info:
- ESA’s ‘Cubesat central’ for smaller missions into space – ESA
- Smallsats By The Numbers: A discussion of the smallsat industry – Tara Halt (Bryce Space and Technology)/SatMagazine
- Using the SSB and FM ham radio satellites | Southgate Amateur Radio News
- Small Satellites Launch Commercial Innovation – Upward Magazine/ISS National Lab – March 2018
- Tiny cubesats could do big science at the Moon and Venus | Fox News