NASA is holding a press briefing on Monday to announce that a “Mars Mystery” has been “solved”. (See NASA statement below.) Here are some articles speculating as to what the announcement is about:
- What’s Behind NASA’s Upcoming Mystery Announcement About Mars? – Inverse
- Speculation rampant over major Mars announcement – Ottawa Citizen
- NASA expected to announce evidence for liquid water on Mars at press conference about ‘major science finding’ – National Post
Here is NASA’s posting:
NASA will detail a major science finding from the agency’s ongoing exploration of Mars during a news briefing at 11:30 a.m. EDT on Monday, Sept. 28 at the James Webb Auditorium at NASA Headquarters in Washington. The event will be broadcast live on NASA Television and the agency’s website.
News conference participants will be:
- Jim Green, director of planetary science at NASA Headquarters
- Lujendra Ojha of the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta
- Mary Beth Wilhelm of NASA’s Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, California and the Georgia Institute of Technology
- Alfred McEwen, principal investigator for the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) at the University of Arizona in Tucson
A brief question-and-answer session will take place during the event with reporters on site and by phone. Members of the public also can ask questions during the briefing using #AskNASA.
To participate in the briefing by phone, reporters must email their name, media affiliation and telephone number to Steve Cole at firstname.lastname@example.org by 9 a.m. EDT on Monday.
For NASA TV downlink information, schedules and to view the news briefing, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv
For more information about NASA’s journey to Mars: https://www.nasa.gov/topics/journeytomars