A sampling of recent articles, press releases, etc. about student and amateur CubeSat / SmallSat projects and programs:
Korea’s own rocket boys are hoping to reach for the stars. Fueled by a life-long passion and the spirit of entrepreneurship, they’re hoping to lead a new generation of space innovation in the country.
Last month, eight Korean space enthusiasts in their 20s and 30s came together to form a group dubbed the Space Mafia at a cafe in Seoul.
Besides being united in their love for the cosmos, the members are all CEOs of space-related start-ups. Their specialties are diverse, including small artificial satellites, rockets, robots, drones and sensors.
A $5,000 donation from Huntsville aerospace engineering firm TriVector Services Inc. has boosted efforts by the Alabama Space Grant Consortium (ASGC) to design and build the first in a planned series of statewide collaborative cube satellites (CubeSats).
Trivector’s donation helped to sponsor a recent workshop about the project, which will carry a gamma-ray burst (GRB) detector to be placed in the vicinity of the moon to detect short gamma-ray bursts.
“TriVector’s generous donation helped to offset expenses associated with holding the Alabama Student CubeSat Workshop late last year,” says Dr. Dale Thomas, who is the ASGC director as well as a professor and the eminent scholar in systems engineering at The University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAH).
Dubai: UAE students who built MySat-1, a ‘CubeSat’ launched last year to the International Space Station (ISS), are now more informed and capable to contribute to the developing space sector of the country.
The 10-centimetre cube satellite MySat-1 was developed by students of the UAE-based Khalifa University of Science and Technology and was successfully launched to space on board the Northrop Grumman Cygnus spacecraft.
MySat-1’s launch came on the heels of launch of KhalifaSat, the UAE’s first 100 per cent Emirati-made satellite launched on October 29.
- AMSAT 50th Anniversary Awards Program
- Fox-1 CubeSat Model Kits Available
- CubeSat Airborne Science Payload Standard
- UWE-4 CubeSat frequency change request approved
- HamSCI 2019 Workshop Set for March in Cleveland, Call for Papers Issued
- Nominations Solicited for Six ARRL Awards
- AMSAT Argentina Special Event
- Upcoming Satellite Operations
- ARISS News
- Shorts From All Over
General CubeSat/SmallSat info:
- CubeSats joining Hera mission to asteroid system – ESA
- FCC Grants Akash Systems Approval of Experimental GaN-on-Diamond Satellite Launch – Odessa American
- This Startup Wants to Launch Giant Glowing Ads Into the Night Sky – futurism.com
- Space Symposium paper proposal submissions close on Tuesday | Southgate Amateur Radio News
- New D-Star ONE Nanosatellites Launched; Es’hail Testing Under Way – arrl.org
- Airbus wins DARPA contract to develop small constellation satellite bus for Blackjack program – Airbus.com