The Rocket Boys Festival (Oct. 4-6) is on again:
THE ROCKETS BOYS ARE COMING AGAIN!!!
The October Sky Rocket Boys Festival (OSRBF) will again be held in Beckley, West Virginia after last year’s move to Raleigh County from McDowell County. The home of the OSRBF will again be the Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine at New River Park in Beckley, West Virginia. After hosting the event for the past 13 years, the Festival Committee in Coalwood, WV decided it was no longer viable to continue the festival there and in 2012 the festival was moved to Beckley.
The 2013 Festival will feature four of the Rocket Boys plus other special guests to be added to the the schedule later in 2013. As in the past, festival goers will have a chance to meet the Rocket Boys, enjoy music by area performers, and shop craft and food vendors. One of the featured highlights will be a Rocket Launch from New River Park’s LaunchPad Beckley. Additionally, the Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine will be open to the festival vistors who wish to travel underground to get a first hand look at how coal was mined.
Some space policy related items:
- NASA will not warn us about asteroids over Twitter during the shutdown – Washington Post
- Excepting ISS, NASA Work Would Grind to Swift Halt in Government Shutdown – SpaceNews.com
- Spectrum Cops Advising Small-satellite Owners of Obligations – SpaceNews.com
- Can We Be Green in Space? – Sasha Ingber/The Atlantic
- Super space Sunday – The Space Review
- Back to the Moon, commercially – The Space Review – Apollo Astronaut Jim Lovell
- NASA tries to keep an asteroid mission in the bag – The Space Review
NASA JPL highlights what is in the night sky for this month : What’s Up for October 2013