The sessions will include four on solar power from space:
Space‐Based Solar Power
PAPER TOPICS ‐ FRIDAY
Session 1 Friday a.m.
“Timing, Budget, Economics, and Commercialization of SBSP” Funding sources/methods, Urgency, pace Amounts needed, how to sustain, Net Present Value, Cost‐of‐ownership, Financing
Session 2 Friday p.m. “Components, Infrastructure, and Enabling Technology for SBSP”
Rectennae and WPT, Energy conversion Power management, Thermal management Station keeping, structural dynamics On‐orbit assembly, Repair, protection, robustness, safety, Sustainment, end‐of‐life
PAPER TOPICS ‐ SATURDAY
Session 3 Saturday a.m.
“Motivation, Urgency, Scope, and Collaborations for SBSP”
Baseload power uses, Space settlement Leadership, Innovation, Economics, Environment
Session 4 Saturday p.m.
“Architecture, Pathways to Success, and Obstacles for SBSP”
Orbital configurations, Launch systems SSP architecture, Transition pathways Global initiatives, Resistance/Opposition Politics & Policy
Some support info and art for John Strickland’s interview tonight on The Space Show:
In advance of The Space Show with Mr. Strickland at 7PM PST [10pm EST] Tuesday, Jan. 22, 2013, these pictures have been uploaded as John will be referring to them during his discussion. Note that the “1 page with 2 ferry images” link below opens a document with two color diagrams which will also be part of tonight’s discussion.
1. Monday, Jan. 21, 2013, 2-3:30 PM PST (5-6:30 PM EST, 4-5:30 PM CST): No show today as am teaching at UND..
2. Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7-8:30 PM PST (10-11:30 PM EST, 9-10:30 PM CST): We welcome John Strickland to the program to discuss cis-lunar space and economic development. Mr. Strickland is a long time space advocate, a member of the NSS Board of Directors, and more. Note that I will upload several images to The Space Show blog no later than Tuesday morning as John & I will be talking about them during our discussion. Make sure you access these images prior to our Tuesday night program, http://thespaceshow.wordpress.com.
3. Friday January 25, 2013, 9:30-11 AM PST (11:30- 1 PM CST, 12:30PM-2:00 PM EST): We welcome Dr. Duane Graveline, the father of the NASA bed rest microgravity simulation studies. Heather Archuletta, the “pillownaut astronaut,” will co-host this program with me.
In this show Bob talked about an ice drilling project at Lake Whillans in Antarctica, wildfire damage to an astronomy observatory in Australia, and the announcement of the plan to install a Bigelow expandable module on the ISS.
1. Robot demo on ISS delayed due to software issue.
2. An expensive Frankenstein in space.
3. Global warming scientitst James Hansen teams up with Occupy Wall Street!
Segment 2: private aviation and space
1. A river on Mars.
2. 11 pound gold nugget found in Australia.
3. More details about Bigelow’s deal with NASA (and others!) to launch privately-built space station modules.
4. Private space stations vs the Outer Space Treaty.