If you are off work for the Thanksgiving holidays, you might want to catch up on space podcasts and video reports of interest, especially while sitting down to absorb a giant meal. Here is a sampling of recent spacecasts:
The Space Show with David Livingston:
- Mon, 11/21/2016 – 14:00 – Space journalist Leonard David discussed his new book Mars: Our Future On The Red Planet, the National Geographic Mars docu-drama series, to which the book is tied.
- Tue, 11/22/2016 – 19:00 – Dr. Gilbert Levin spoke about the search “for life on Mars, Viking Labeled Release Experiments, NASA on life on Mars, sample return, & more”.
By the way, Leonard David has a posting about some intriguing analysis of data from the Spirit rover: Did the Spirit Mars Rover Find a Biosignature of Past Life? – Leonard David
- Space And Art – “Voices jumps back to examine space art, a wide field covering many disciplines from garage art studios to NASA labs. In this episode, Ron Miller, a long time space artists, joins us to give a background into this fascinating world, and a history lesson in the culture surrounding it.” (Check out Miller’s book: The Art of Space: The History of Space Art, from the Earliest Visions to the Graphics of the Modern Era.)
- The History Of Space Policy – “Kicking off another mini series, we have friend of the show Michael Listner this week to discuss the social and political landscape around space policy through the ages – We discuss what shaped important bills and what that might mean for the future.”
John Batchelor Show:
- To Mars! With National Geographic | The Planetary Society – “The National Geographic Channel’s “Mars” miniseries has begun. Mat Kaplan attended a kickoff for the ambitious docudrama last summer. You’ll hear from series technical advisor Bobby Braun, author of “The Martian” Andy Weir, Cosmos creator Ann Druyan and more. It took two years, but Emily Lakdawalla has completed an important visual document focused on Mars rover Opportunity. Bill Nye steps aside for Planetary Society Director of Space Policy Casey Dreier with a look toward Donald Trump’s NASA. One listener will win a spectacular new Pluto globe in the What’s Up space trivia contest.”
- Inside Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo | The Planetary Society – “Host Mat Kaplan traveled to California’s Mojave Desert for a tour of Virgin Galactic’s The Spaceship Company, where the second SpaceShipTwo was built and is undergoing flight tests. TSC Executive VP Enrico Palermo was his guide. Emily Lakdawalla provides a taste of this busy month throughout the solar system. NASA has reached an important milestone according to Bill Nye the Science Guy. And “The Honeymooners” are Bruce and Mat’s special guests on Whats’ Up.”
TMRO Space Pods
- NASA Seeking Orion Capsule Alternatives – SpacePod 11/16/16
- How to Breathe in Space – Space Pod 11/10/16