Space policy update – May.14.14
Space policy/politics links:
“Paring down the number of competitors will help things along greatly because the funding won’t be split.”
Query: To which Party and State would might you attribute the above market-bashing quote? California Democrat? Independent from Vermont? Surprisingly, this socialist missive comes from the staff of a Conservative Texas Republican.
Of course, what Mr. La Branche and his Congressional boss would really like to eliminate is that most inconvenient of competitors, the entrepreneur. And the very worst manifestation of entrepreneurial pestilence is, of course, California’s notorious Elon Musk.
Frankly, DragonRider could fly to the ISS next month if it were subject to the same expectations of safety as NASA’s Space Shuttle. A truly conservative response to Mr. Rogozin would be to announce that the United States is ready to move a DragonRider launch forward without further testing, send eight Navy Seals to the ISS and “liberate” our space station from Russia’s state capitalist squatters.
- Defense launch:
- Russia fights back - Behind The Black
- RD-180′s? : Rogozin Tweets NYET! - Innerspace.net
- Rogozin hurls salvo of attacks on U.S. space program – Spaceflight Now
- How Badly Can Russia Put the Squeeze on NASA? – Popular Mechanics
- Twitter / Lori_Garver: “Will it be the Russians who again spur US action on space? Perhaps this will be the wake up call to increase investment in US capability.”
- Export reforms:
* Dr. John Jurist, Friday, 5-9-14 - Thespaceshow’s Blog - Dr. Jurist discusses “space program related medical & biotechnical advances, spinoffs, human spaceflight”.